European Localization Requirements
Exigences européennes de la localisation
Recommendations of first workshop on the Euro in IT standards
1. Transfer of finance and electronic commerce
- Recommendation 1: TC304 should verify that the registration of the currency
code (EUR) in ISO 4217 has taken place.
2. Output: International registration of the EURO SIGN glyph
- Recomendation 2.1: TC304/WG3 should pursue the registration of the EURO SIGN glyph registration
- Recommendation 2.2: The workshop should not comment on shape of the Euro glyph on banknotes; it is outside our scope.
- Recommendation 2.3: The design of OCR glyphs for the EURO SIGN should be
done with the help of OCR experts.
- Recommendation 2.4: The design of glyphs for the EURO SIGN in ordinary
fonts should follow standard typographical principles.
3. Input: Keyboard layouts
- Recommendation 3.1: TC304/WG2 should prepare a proposal to add the EURO SIGN to ISO/IEC 9995-3.
- Recommendation 3.2: TC304/WG2 and NBs are encouraged to consider
feasible incremental and final solutions for implementation of the EURO SIGN on national keyboards.
- Recommendation 3.3: TC304 should contact ISO/TC68 about the possible
need for the EURO SIGN on banking terminals.
4. Electronic code for information interchange
- Recommendation 4.1: TC304/WG3 should monitor the addition of the EURO SIGN
to ISO/IEC 10646.
- Recommendation 4.2: In parallel with the addition of the EURO SIGN to ISO/IEC 10646, TC304/WG3 should revise the Minimum and Extended European Subsets (ENV 1973) to include the character as well.
- Recommendation 4.3: TC304/WG3 should investigate the need for inclusion
of the EURO SIGN in 8-bit coded character sets.
- Recommendation 4.4: Vendors' plans should be monitored and feedback is
- Recommendation 4.5: The current use of the generic CURRENCY SIGN (¤) needs to be documented.
5. Other aspects
- Recommendation 5.1: The following items should be added to the action
plan: sorting, matching, simultaneous rendering, other platforms
(Unix, mainframes, etc.), writing of amounts, OCR-B, interoperability.
- Recommendation 5.2: TC304/WG1 should consider sorting and matching
aspects of the EURO SIGN.
- Recommendation 5.3: TC304/WG2 should consider the ways in which Euro amounts
and simultaneous rendering of the Euro will be written.
- Recommendation 5.4: TC304/WG3 should consider the need for adding the EURO SIGN to OCR-B.
- Recommendation 5.5: TC304 working groups should consider the
interoperability aspects of the EURO SIGN.
CEN/TC 304 Secretariat - Staðlaráð Íslands - STRÍ, Keldnaholti, 112 Reykjavík
Secretary: Þorgeir Sigurðsson