View of the harbour from Eigtveds Pakhus
Eigtveds Pakhus (Warehouse) dates from the time when Denmark was one of the leading shipping nations of the world. It was built 1748-50 by the Court Master Builder Nicolai Eigtved. The owner was Asiatic Company whose main residence was Philip de Lange's Palę (Mansion), now office of the Protocol Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The warehouse building, 93 m by 12,5 m, was made of limestone from Saltholm. The exterior of the ground floor is covered with sandstone. The interior construction is made with Pomeranian pine beams. The four storeys were meant as store rooms for the Company's articles, as the five central sections of the ground floor were arranged as the so-called ware room where the public could inspect the precious and exotic goods after the ships' arrival.
In 1918 the warehouse was reduced by two sections towards the harbour and after a fire in 1934 the wooden construction of the five eastern sections was partly renewed, but apart from that the firmly built warehouse remained almost unchanged. Heavily damaged from wear and tear and neglect it was acquired by the Administrative Department of the Central Government in 1972 together with the area of Asiatisk Plads. Until 1976 the building, now 87 m long, served as a warehouse. In connection with the planning of the office building for the Foreign Ministry at Asiatisk Plads it was decided to restore and convert the old buildings, Philip de Lange's Palę and the warehouses facing Strandgade - built in the early 18th century and in 1781, respectively - into offices for the Foreign Ministry and Eigtveds Warehouse into meeting, conference and reception rooms for the Government.