WG4 is developing a major revision of the COBOL standard. A draft is nearly ready
for progression to Final CD ballot.
- Support for large character sets, such as ISO/IEC 10646
- Cultural adaptability, often called Internationalization
- Support for object-oriented programming
- Exception handling
- Conditional compilation
- New data types: bit, pointer, floating point, native binary
- A portable mode of arithmetic
- User-defined functions
- Enhanced interoperability with other programming languages
- File sharing and record locking
- Enhanced report writer
- Data validation
Stage Description Date
3.1 Initiate final CD ballot 2/2000
4.1 Initiate DIS 5/2002
5.0 Final text to ISO 11/2002
Technical proposals and the latest draft standard for this project
can be found on the
- Pending JTC 1 approval, WG4 will produce a technical report specifying
object finalization in COBOL. The detailed specification will be developed by
NCITS Technical Committee J4 in the USA. Further information can be found on the
TR web site.
WG4 intends to develop a techical report for a class library for object-oriented programming,
but the project has not yet been initiated.
has produced SC22
N2310, Record of Response Issue 3, containing records of response for
Defect Reports 62 through 81 for ISO/IEC 1989:1985 and this was approved by SC22
in March 1997.
There are currently no Defect Reports open in WG4.
This page is sponsored by
design by Keld Simonsen.